Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Day 1 - Cross Training

December 31, 2013

So I decided to get started right away.  No time like the present to make a life change.  Why wait until tomorrow or some arbitrary fabricated socially reinforced holiday that caters to amateur hour partiers.  In a former life New Year's Eve was the night I pretended to look forward to ("Whooooohooooo"), but secretly loathed the necessity of paying about a $1,000 to freeze my butt off getting too drunk and having to get into fights with the other drunken DBs while defending the honor of my gf/fiance/wife/good friend's gay bff (yes that really happened and sadly not on a New Year's).

I watch the short introductory video.  Ok, the production values here are far too good.  So good, I'm starting to wonder if this is going to be hokey.  Then Travis Eliot starts talking about how he used to be an athlete, but started to feel the aches and pains of life and refused to accept that it was an inevitable consequence of growing older.  Hey, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.  I just quit doing insanity 10 days in not because it was too hard, but because it was too hard on my joints.  I was feeling achey in the knees, shoulders, forearms etc.  Hey, he has kids too? I have a kid - I can relate to this guy.  Um, but the weird looking yogi dude in the makeup and fake long beard makes me skeptical again.  Reminds me of a really bad Bollywood film.

I slip in the cross-training DVD and am surprised by (a) how good looking everyone is; and (b) how many tattoos there are everywhere.  My wife thinks I'm weird because I actually have a fear of tattoos. Like they are going to come alive and bite me or something.  Ok - grin and bear it.  If I could survive putting a tarantula on my hand this year I can deal with some tattoos. (N.B. wife has a tattoo and I'm afraid of her so my story checks out.)

The workout starts and I'm not sure I can get used to Travis' odd nasal voice.  Try not to be judgmental Mediocre Yogi.  Hmmm  - 3 mins in and I'm already used to his voice.  See that's not so bad.  "Downward Daaaaaaaaaaaawwwwgg" ok I'm annoyed again.

I expected this to be tough, but this workout is really really tough and long.  I'm really sweating and working hard and - hey - that Asian lady is pretty hot.  Ok - focus Mediocre Yogi focus.  This video reminds me of the Bryan Kest videos, but modernized to include tattoos and remove greasy early 90s hairdos.  Both have hot Asian women. (Wife is going to murder me if she reads this.)  Focus drifting again, wow - isn't that grey haired tattoo'd guy a little too old to have nipple rings and what are those straight line scars on his chest?!

Toward the end of the video Travis gets a close up at the screen and mentions about the common sense diet and "no stimulants".  I feel like his gaze is directed right at me.  Shoot - he's on to me!  How did he find out I took NOxplode this morning?!  I didn't put the disc in until after I finished drinking it.  I promise it was only 1 scoop Travis (maybe a heaping one, but still better than my usual 1.5-2).

I make it through the workout, but it is hard and I need to take a couple of breaks.  Next up is the Hardcore (abs) workout.  I probably do about 50-60% of the reps.  Find myself gasping "no...please..." a few times.

Last up meditation.  I could use a good 10 minutes to medidate.  I put on some music in Youtube and make it 4 minutes before giving up.  My meteoric life change may take some time...

No comments:

Post a Comment