Thursday, January 2, 2014

Day 3 - Strength

January 2, 2014

I woke up this morning definitely feeling groggy.  First day back to work means first day waking up at 5:30 again.  My body is still sore from the last two days, particularly my core, which is feeling the effects of being pushed to hard in hardcore and then again through the twists in the cardio sequence.  Also didn't help to have to shovel feet of snow last night.  That's what I get for buying a house only miles from the lake...(oh it's beaauuuutiful here...).

Today's challenge, which I chose to accept was the strength workout.  Thankfully my upper body is already plenty strong from years of weights.  I can't do more than 3 pull-ups at a time, but boy can I push some heavy weights off my chest in a vertical up and down motion.  Talk about functional strength!

The workout is challenging, but not as bad as the first two...this is going to be a cakewalk - wait more twists and inversions?  Did I mention that my core is sore?  In particular my obliques are failing me.  In the midst of my pain, my fear returns.  That dude's chest markings look like someone sliced him with a knife 6 times symmetrically (himself)?  I bet he's one of those people who everyone goes.  "Oh Bob? He's suuuuper nice"

I don't know if it was the fact that I was quarter-asleep (the NoXplode helped with 1/2 and the yoga a 1/4), but I really had trouble focusing and my mind kept wandering.  I would love to pretend it was wondering for wholesome reasons, but if you know me and/or have read any previous post you know I was perving again.  One of my resolutions this year is to be more honest so hooray for honesty.  More honesty - probably didn't help that I completely cheated the common sense food program again by eating way too many buffalo chicken/ketchup flavored potato chips last night (I really need to get the snacks out of my house).

Next up was the Hardcore workout again.  You'd think given some crazy sore obliques that I'd just back off for today in true Yogi fashion.  Nope, that's not the Mediocre Yogi style.  I decide to "push through the pain" Rocky style.  In moments like this, I ask myself, what would the Governator do?  He would call me a girly man and then ridicule me until I did the workout.  So I give it a shot, epically fail (about 20-30% of reps) and clutch my side in pain.  I think I really am a girly man.

Timing is perfect, just as I'm finishing up, my nanny comes through the door with her little daughter who starts running around the house screaming "OUR CAR IS STUCK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD! OUR CAR IS STUCK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD! WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO????!!!"  I'm not feeling very zen right now, but I do the only thing that makes sense and offer to dig the car out from the snow.  Brilliant.

Those of you who are actually bothering to read my ramblings with any semblance of interest may be wondering how this can be given that I shoveled feet of snow last night.  Erm...f*cked if I know, but there are feet of snow again.  WTF! So out I go, core screaming and shovel the driveway and all the snow that is under and around the car.  *Cue Rocky IV training montage music* Job done.

On the plus side I did actually do the 10 minute meditation last evening.  New working plan is to do the meditation before bed.  There is no rule that says I have to do it after my workout, and actually it was a really nice way to unwind.


No comments:

Post a Comment